Sal, Cape Verde
Sal, Cape Verde Information
or order brochure
A dream in the Atlantic Ocean
In the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, 1500 km south of the Canary Islands and 450 km off the western coast of Senegal, is a small group of islands, the Cape Verdes. Although appearing almost insignificant, they are actually of great importance – and not only for us windsurfers! Long before we arrived, seamen used the favourable winds of the Cape Verdes to cross the Atlantic Ocean from there.
Well, we don’t want to travel that far away, and would rather stay on Sal. Although this barren island is characterised by a desert landscape, everyone who comes here is cast under its’ spell and plans to return. The Cape Verdeans call this phenomenon "Sodade", which means "yearning". The fun loving locals will shape your image of the Cape Verdes and their aim is to make you feel right at home. "You do not need much to be happy" - This saying could have originated on these islands. Apart from fishing, which is the locals main source of food and income, music also plays a decisive role in the Cape Verdean life.
All tastes are catered for here, from windsurfers interested in a wave taster course to full-fledged professionals. Apart from windsurfing and wave riding, kitesurfing is also big on Sal.
Although more and more hotels have been built on Sal in the last few years, the "desert island" has retained its charm and is still the ultimate wave paradise for windsurfers, kitesurfers and wave riders.
Our insider tips:
- Deep-sea fishing on a sailing boat or traditional fishing with the locals
- Buggy or squad tours across the island
- Professional surfing with world champions Josh Angulo and Björn Dunkerbeck in Ponta Preta
- Fantastic wave spots such as Ponta Sino, Ponta Preta, Rife, and Ponta Leme
- Catamaran trip to Boavista
- Beautiful African art at the Akuaba Shop
- First-rate tuna sashimi (raw fish steak) at the Atlantis Restaurant
- Typical local fare such as catchupa - and grogue drinks... but be careful!
- A sightseeing trip around the island
Latest weather data
Sal, Cape Verde : partly cloudy
air temp : 30 c
water : 24 c
wind : 3 bft / 10 Knots
Latest news Sal, Cape Verde
From now on we can book your Club Mistral winter holiday..
More Info ..>
NEW - Yoga classes on Sal with ocean view
More Info ..>
Latest travel offer
Dunas del Sal
GREAT WINDY SEASON
From 599 €uro
Spot Info Chart
|moderate -> excellent|
|Value for money|